NCCO10 Conductor Fellowship Program
Applications have now closed.
The National Collegiate Choral Organization (NCCO) invites applications for the 2023 Conductor Fellowship Program at the 10th Biennial National Conference, November 9-11, 2023, hosted by Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia.
- To encourage and support graduate students who are on the cusp of a career in conducting choral music
- To provide an opportunity to strengthen conducting technique, score preparation skills, and rehearsal methods through participation in a conducting masterclass with NCCO Featured Artist Dr. Anton Armstrong of St. Olaf College
- To provide networking opportunities with fellow collegiate choral conductors with the intent to develop mentor/mentee relationships that continue beyond the conference
- To encourage graduate student activity at the NCCO National Conference
- Applicant must hold an active NCCO student membership at the time of application. Two-year student memberships are $50. Click here to join.
- Applicant must be actively pursuing an artist diploma, master's, or doctoral degree in choral conducting or a related area (e.g., other fields of conducting, music education, choral literature and pedagogy)
- Applicant must submit a complete application; incomplete applications will not be considered
- All accepted fellows are expected to attend the NCCO10 Conference at Morehouse College, November 9-11, 2023, and attend all Fellowship-related events.
- To ensure greater access for student conductor fellowship applicants, we have eliminated the $25 application fee for all applicants.
- Everyone who applies for the Fellowship program will receive a 30-minute mentoring session with an NCCO faculty member at the conference. This change will allow for meaningful engagement for all applicants -- not just those accepted into the program -- to further our goal of "encouraging and supporting graduate students who are on the cusp of a career in conducting choral music."
Below is a summary of activities the Conducting Fellows will participate in during and after the NCCO National Conference:
- Participation in the Conducting Masterclass
- $500 stipend
- conference registration fee waived
APPLICATION MATERIAL REQUIREMENTS
Applications are due on August 6th, 2023, 11:59pm Hawai'i Standard Time
- Completed online application. Click on the button above.
- C.V./resume highlighting the applicant's academic & teaching experience, and their work with both collegiate-level and other choral ensembles
Video selections, approximately 12-15 minutes, of the applicant conducting in recent rehearsal(s) and/or performance(s)
- Video footage should demonstrate the applicant’s strongest work in leading choral ensembles
- Videos must be submitted as either public or unlisted YouTube/Vimeo links (not private videos)
- If an applicant wishes to submit an excerpt from a longer piece of video footage, they must provide a link to the exact portion of the video they wish for the adjudicators to review
- Footage should ideally provide clear images of the front of the conductor; verbal instructions given by conductor must be clearly audible
- Adjudicators reviewing applications will be considering the following when evaluating the videos (equally weighted):
- Effective and nuanced conducting gesture
- Effective and confident rehearsal technique
- Clarity of verbal communication
- Musicianship and musicality, as evidenced by their interpretation of the music on the recording
One letter of recommendation from a current or recent faculty member or professional in the choral field who can speak to any or all of the following about the applicant:
- Conducting skills and comfort in working with collegiate-level students
- Potential for success in teaching and conducting
- Progress in their academic degree
- Leadership style
The candidate’s letter of recommendation must be emailed as a PDF by the reference/letter-writer (not the applicant) to Dr. Jace Kaholokula Saplan, Arizona State University ([email protected])
Letters must be received by August 6th, 2023, 11:59 PM Hawai’i Standard Time or the application to be considered complete. Results will be emailed on or before August 13th, 2023.